New for 2017+
F-7189-II (MK2) Integrated Tube Amplifier (20W+20W)
F-7189 has always been a Limited Edition model for the tube connoisseurs and purist who likes the EL84/7189/6BQ5 tubes so much and wanted more power. In previous generation, the predecessor – “F-7189a” (the designation “a”, meant it must uses the 7189 version A tube), it was designed for the extended power rated EL84M and 7189a tubes only to put out 17-20W per channel depending transformers.
And this very latest generation, the F-7189-II, it has gone thru a complete redesign for an extended power of 20W output power. We have put in our best ever design that will run all variants of EL84 / 7189 / 6BQ5 tubes to have the same output power without using the scarce and expensive EL84M/7189a version of tubes. It also feature our latest two stage SEA-II Driversdesign – more headroom, more dynamic, more gain, more punch, with a two-stage driver design, versus the singe stage driver as the previous SEA Driver design. Of course, to put out more power means a far more complicated/ precise calculated design, more parts, and a more critical / serious power supply design is required, in order to come up with the same quality and reliability.
So what makes the F-7189-II even more precise and different to other EL84 / 7189 / 6BQ5 amplifiers?
- Output Transformers – They required bigger ones, and we picked the very best Hammond 25W (oversize) for this important duty
- Power Transformer – It required a bigger one with higher voltage at 300V vs the usual 275V-285V for standard EL84/7189/6BQ5 application
- Choke Transformer – it has been upgraded to our own Triode Lab’s choke made by high-end M6 metals, its beefier and better – and quieter!
- Upgraded power supply : Needless to say, due to the extra output power, a more complicated / higher design for the raised operation voltage, the main power supply is beefed up.
- The ground loop design on the 7189A is also revised and enhanced, along with above upgrades in the power supply, we were able to measure S/N ratio better than 95 db (Conservative rating, we really saw 101 db coming!), and this reads EXTREMELY quiet, total dark out noise floor.
- What makes the F7189-IImore serious regular to race tracks? a power regulation stage is added to the screen grid, a mosfet chip is applied to regulate and stabilize the power supply, and a heat sink is in place for the best optimal result – it does get hot there. It does not just make the amp runs more quiet and efficient, but it also extend the life of the tubes, also increase the accuracy of the circuit , which enable generating more horsepower!
- Last but not least, a spark killer circuitry is added at the AC Inlet, to shield/protect surges and noises. (When you turn off your old tuner while the amplifier is still ON)
- And this is how serious and how far we go to make this very high quality 20W (at 3% THD with Hammonds).
This is easily the best EL84 / 6BQ5 / 7189 machine on the planet now, and with great real-world driving power for most speakers. Standard premium parts including:
- Alps Japan Blue Velvet Volume Control
- Finale’s Pink-Lingu RCA Jacks – Choices of one single set of RCA for purest signal transfer
- CMC USA Binding Post
- Mundorf Germany Evo Oil Caps/ Nichicon Coupling Caps (Total 6 Coupling Caps vs 4 Previous gen)
- Furutech Japan Gold AC Inlet IEC
- QQQ Japan Industrial Grade Rectify Tube Socket
- Hammonds Canada Complete Set of Four Transformers
- Finish : Finale’s Satin Black (20% Gloss on Matte Black), or Triode Lab Matte White . Add $150 for other Finale / Triode Lab Colours
- We can also further upgrade the transformers, capacitors and connectors for the serious individual.
- Class A/B
- Pentode Mode
- 20W + 20W
- 0.6V Input Sensitivity @ full power (Which mean even you have weaker source such as tapes or tuner, you will still have good boost/gain)
- 22W Max (when equipped with Hashimoto output transformers)
- Preamp Tubes : 12AX7 Pair (The Quieter = The Better)
- Rectify Tubes : 5AR4 / GZ34
- Output Tubes : EL84’s / 6BQ5s / 7189’s
- Speaker Output Switch : 4-8 or 8-16 ohms
- Dimensions: 18″W X 9″D X 7″H
- “Hi Frank, Hope all is well.I have about 75 hours on the 7189MK2 , I did swap out the JJ rectifier and 12ax7s after about 30 hours for NOS RCA 5AR4 and NOS GE 12ax7s. The amp sounded fine with the JJ’s , I am just more partial to NOS tubes. This is truly a beautiful sounding integrated amp. It has a very natural sound and a great ability to retrieve all of the nuances from music on each track; additionally its imaging, soundstage, separation and decay are well defined. I am also very pleased with the build quality, as well as , the care that you folks take with packaging/shipping, and the excellent communication I had with you throughout the process. You will have me as a future customer. Please feel free to post my comments on your website if you desire to.Frank”
- Using an audio grade transformer is important for providing high quality sound. This is why we always try to use brand name audio transformers that are designed specifically for tube applications, and are well-tested for safety, with solid quality control. As experienced tube amp repair specialists, we see a lot of import and budget tube amplifiers that use low grade transformers – even though they may claim they are “in-house built” or “made with high grade materials.” We, on the other hand, love using brand name transformers, and the cost alone of the set of Hammond transformers we use on the F208a is more than the selling price of some low grade EL84 amps on the market.
FINALE AUDIO 829B Special - The GALLIARD
TRIODE LAB 45 Mini